Saturday, 13 November 2010

Why You'll Never Win The Lottery


The Padrón Pepper Hypothesis

Ah Waitrose!  You browse round tasty (and ocassionally prohibitively expensive) produce, get to try exciting new things, and learn a bit about the world for free.

Last Sunday I bought padrón peppers - never heard of them.  This Thursday I walked past Fernandez & Wells, a bar that had blackboarded them as an available snack; the new BIG THING I thought.  And falling asleep last night I generated my theory.

These speciality peppers originate in North-West Spain, where they have been known as the "teeny weeny thug" owing to the occasional HOT one you might unknowingly pick from the bowl.

Yes, between 1 in 30 (Waitrose packet) and 1 in 50 (website below) are piquant, whereas the remainder have a gently green pepper flavour - not bitter like the usual greens are or sweet like a red pepper, but fresh and tangy in taste.  Fried for 90 seconds in olive oil and sprinkled with salt they proved an excellent accompaniment to cheesy steak baguettes.

http://www.padronpeppers.com/

The Theory

As delicious as the peppers were with steak, there wasn't a hot one in the pack (c. 40 peppers).  So on the basis I can't beat odds of 1 in 30, I'm going to have to rethink my retirement plan.

Sure, sooner or later I'll get to the crunch of a Russian Roulette moment a la Padrón. But whether shopping in Waitrose or shifting to Aldi, I'm pretty sure I can't afford the tickets to scale up for lotto.


1 comment:

  1. Hi. I wanted to suggest you try Dr. Wicked's writing lab if you're struggling with word count. Your e-mail wasn't linked so I couldn't answer your comment.

    The thing I love about Dr. Wicked is it just makes you write. No edits, no thinking, just shear pouring of words out onto the screen against a timer. When I get stuck on too much thinking and fine tuning in my daily writing I always turn to that as a device!

    Great story, here, BTW.

    ReplyDelete