I watched Black Swan this week, Darren Aronofsky's film for the ladies. There's been a few comments on Facebook about it, not all of them very positive, and it got me thinking.
I thought it was a really good date movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sexual suggestion (lusty thoughts), scary overbearing parent (roll eyes), fantasy and mild terror (grab hands). The nuance and presentation of the club scene was exactly right and the photography of the dancing footwork mesmerising.
The story, a fusion of rags to riches success (is that a pre-req for dancing?) with a cautionary tale about the price of getting what you want, was silly - genuine entertainment. Less about ballet than the rise and fall of human beings.
Which brings me to my conclusion. This wasn't a pretentious art house film about the ballet. It didn't take itself seriously. The film wasn't at all what I expected having read the entry in the London BFI festival program last year, nor the blurb the Curzon had on the web. I wonder whether that, more than anything else, will lead certain people to dismiss it. This film won't make you smarter or more smug, but it will probably make you laugh.

No comments:
Post a Comment